Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Saturday 23 April 2016

Trip to Honshu: Izumo 1

We went here some 16 years ago on a rainy day and I have always wanted to go back: Izumo Taisha, the Grand Shinto Shrine. One of Japan's oldest shrines with a rich history. People from all over the country come here to pray and pay respect. A very special place it is.



7:00 am. After a night of strong winds and heavy rain the morning is misty and quiet



A big tori marks the entrance to the shrine. Here we enter the land
 of myths, which is the meaning of Izumo
  

Along lane of enormous pine trees and another tori



The first sunlight reflected in a pond



The entrance to the frontyard of the main building. A man passing by pays his respect.



When I saw this soft sunlight I knew we were into something very special



At this hour there were hardly any people yet.



It's amazing having such a spiritual place to yourself for a moment...







I counted my blessings  (many!)



Shimenawa is the name of the braided rope that can be seen at shrines of all sizes.
Also around trees and stones. Anything sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment