Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Thursday 15 June 2023

Spring migration 2023

Lately birding has all been about hearing calls and songs, but seeing very little. I often went out and came back without any decent pictures How sad...

In the mountains I heard all the summer birds, but they seemed to stay high up in the canopy. Why? Weren't there enough bugs to eat down below? Even the chicks of Tits stayed up high.

Around Fukuoka I often took walks, mostly in Nishi-ku. Twice I heard the Ruddy Kingfisher, アカショウビン. It was calling in Imazu!

Also in Imazu: A Rufous hawk-cuckoo, ジュウイチ. Calling, calling, calling. I saw it for just 2 or 3 seconds.

Roaming the forests, I listened to Narcissus and Blue-and white flycatchers, Woodpeckers, tits and bulbuls. I frequently heard the Japanese Paradise Flycatchers, but managed to take only 1 so so ok photo. 

There was one big surprise: I saw the Fairy Pitta, ヤイロチョウ Right in front of me! It sat in a tree for just a short moment. I heard it coming and it came straight towards me. I briefly watched it, utterly astonished. It flew before I could point my camera. But it lifted my spirits and the sad feeling of seeing so few birds subsided for a moment.


Japanese Paradise Flycatcher, サンコウチョウ



Last year's lucky shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment