Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Wednesday 10 November 2021

Imazu update

Sunday the 7th was the WBSJ meeting. I had other commitments later that morning, but briefly dropped by to say hello. Before that I walked my usual route around the fields and the 2 ponds. 6 Chestnut-eared Buntings and 2 Stonechats were active before 9am. Reed Buntings and Pendulin Tits could be heard. The ponds however held very few ducks. Signs of a raptor nearby?

I found a Hawk perched low in a field about 25m from the road. I watched it for a few minutes, until it flew... right in front of me. At 2m distance the bird slid sideways in a small bush, too small to cover the wings. I didn't move and watched it for another 5 min. Then it left, flying low over the ground, passed some more bushes, out of sight. With the help of a veteran birder it could be identified as a young male Goshawk. However. someone else now says it is a Sparrowhawk. I don't know. It was a fairly big bird. bigger than the regular Sparrowhawk I often see I think... I'll call it just a hawk.





It flew up, trying for a small bird, missed it and landed 2m in front of me on the other side of the ditch.






It stayed until some people with a dog walked by. 



Chestnut-eared Bunting, ホアカ - 1 of 5 birds





Stejneger's Stonechat, ノビタキ 1 of 2 birds




No comments:

Post a Comment