Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Wednesday 27 October 2021

Shakadake, the misty mountain

October 13th was the first cool day after the long period of high temperatures. Rain was in the forecast for later in the day, so I set off early with my camera, rain gear, snacks and drinks. I'd never been to this mountain and I was eager to explore it, but visibility became very bad. Clouds descended one after the other and there was no view anywhere. I saw the outline of 3 female pheasants crossing the road ahead and I could hear a raptor nearby. What was it?





I followed a road of stones. Yamap sort of let me down, I could see trails running left and right, but could not see where they would lead to. Being all by myself in this small world I didn't want to take any risks, so I hung on to the partly sealed narrow mountain road. There was nobody. Except for 1 service car that probably had some business at the antenna on top I did not see any person at all. I had the place to myself! 



The scenery was eerily beautiful with lots of small flowers veiled by the mist


A great number of Chestnut Tiger migratory butterflies アサギマダラ were fluttering from one side to the other. Some seemed bigger than others. On the way back I started counting them and came to 64. There could easily have been over a hundred









Other butterflies included Asian Comma, キタテハ



... and Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell, ヒオドシチョウ aka Scarce Tortoiseshell



All the way I could hear many birds, but didn't see much. There was also an animal in the greyish bush.
2 Times I flushed a male pheasant that might have been a Copper Pheasant. Some birds came into view, like this Coal Tit, ヒガラ


At a Japanese Snowbell tree, エゴノキ Varied Tits, ヤマガラ were eating their favorite fruit.




A flock of 20 or 30 Long-tailed Tits, エナガ showed up as well.







I couldn't do anything but concentrate on the small stuff in my field of vision.

Burnt-spot Hummingbird Hawkmoth, ホシホウジャク







Pea soup at the top. 





On the way back




No comments:

Post a Comment