Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory and improve my Japanese. I intend to do some writing in kanji, but am not getting very far without a Japanese computer. So for the moment I say "konnichi wa". Aisatsu dake - just saying hello.

Wednesday, 30 March 2016

Eurasian Wryneck, アリスイ

What a surprise. First time for me to see it in Japan. My memory of a previous sighting is so blurry... I call this a lifer! Jynx torquilla





These unusual birds are able to turn their snake-like head nearly 180 degrees, hence their English name.


When threatened they twist their head, making hissing sounds, like a witch putting a spell on someone in the old days. This gave them the name jynx.






They use their long tongue to find ants and other insects.








Visiting a Sakura tree... but it has no flowers...



On the same day: Sakura in full bloom and a Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker, コゲラ busy making a nest.




 Out at sea: Pelagic Cormorants, ヒメウ


  


Black-throated Loon (Diver), オオハム   far out


No comments:

Post a Comment