Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Tuesday 18 May 2021

Mt Kuju area part 1: birds

It's spring in Mt. Kuju, or actually early summer. The forest is teeming with life. Fresh green leaves,  young flowers, beautiful trees, bird songs everywhere. I visited my old checkpoints, places that I had not been to since last year's storm. The damage from the heavy rain was enormous. A river that I barely knew had cut its way through the woods and left a trail of mud and boulders, some as big as my car. It hit me full force then and now, a year later, again. By now the lower part of the old road had mostly been cleared. As I hiked up the change in landscape became shockingly clear. I felt lost. Hearing the familiar songs of the summer birds came as a relief.

Blue-and-white Flycatcher, オオルリ


2 males were engaged in a flight and song contest probably over territory. The show was right above me and went on and on.





A male Narcissus Flycatcher, キビタキ also loudly announcing his presence





The Asian Brown Flycatchers, コサメビタキ had done their part already and were now feeding their offspring



A pair of Chestnut-eared Buntings, ホオアカ in the Tadewara wetlands





In Oike for some more of the same.
Here a very vocal Blue-and-white Flycatcher, オオルリ as well



Right under that very tree, (listening quietly?) a female




Many Eurasian Wrens, ミソサザイ added their songs to the concert











One took the time to help around the nest



But reverted to singing again soon



The Grey Wagtails, キセキレイ that always hang around the entrance have a baby:





Other winged residents: Eurasian Jay, カケス



Japanese Grosbeak, イカル



And last, my target bird for the day: White-backed Woodpecker, オオアカゲラ






No comments:

Post a Comment