Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Friday 15 February 2019

Black-crowned Night Herons, ゴイサギ in Imazu

These Night Herons never fail to uplift my spirits. I have not been able to take any good photos, but the fact that they chose this place to stay the winter, while numbers of other birds have gone down so much makes me feel good. As if we don't need to worry about them. And then it has become a sport to locate as many as possible. I started of with just 3 or 4, but this week there were 11 birds. I'd better record this. The juveniles worry less about hiding into the reeds. Their plumage is their camouflage.










Fun facts

Another name for Black-crowned Night Heron is Quark Bird because of the sound it makes as it flies.
They sometimes lure food to them using bait or vibrating their bill in the water.
When disturbed young birds can regurgitate partially eaten food onto the intruder.
They sometimes eat chicks of other waterfowl. Their digestive acids are so strong, the bones dissolve in their stomachs.

1 comment: