Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Tuesday 17 June 2014

Grey-headed Lapwing, ケリ

A pair of agitated Lapwing parents are terrorizing the neighborhood. Any creature stepping into their paddy field gets scolded with loud cries, followed by an attack if necessary. I don't think these birds have the weapon-type sharp nails on their wings like their cousins in New Zealand, but they can be just as fierce!





 In the far corner lingers a half-grown chick. It seems to have to find it's own food, the parents are too busy guarding. They even turn their back to the baby when it comes close, I presume to divert attention from crows. 


  








A week later I've come to the same place. The Lapwings are there, 3 of them. This chick looks quite a bit bigger. Would this be the same bird?





No comments:

Post a Comment