Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory and improve my Japanese. I intend to do some writing in kanji, but am not getting very far without a Japanese computer. So for the moment I say "konnichi wa". Aisatsu dake - just saying hello.

Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Grey-headed Lapwing, ケリ

A pair of agitated Lapwing parents are terrorizing the neighborhood. Any creature stepping into their paddy field gets scolded with loud cries, followed by an attack if necessary. I don't think these birds have the weapon-type sharp nails on their wings like their cousins in New Zealand, but they can be just as fierce!





 In the far corner lingers a half-grown chick. It seems to have to find it's own food, the parents are too busy guarding. They even turn their back to the baby when it comes close, I presume to divert attention from crows. 


  








A week later I've come to the same place. The Lapwings are there, 3 of them. This chick looks quite a bit bigger. Would this be the same bird?





No comments:

Post a Comment