Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory and improve my Japanese. I intend to do some writing in kanji, but am not getting very far without a Japanese computer. So for the moment I say "konnichi wa". Aisatsu dake - just saying hello.

Saturday, 29 December 2012

Waiting for Japanese Waxwings in the snow

Shortly after that I headed out to Dazaifu after a friend had phoned to tell me about a flock of Japanese Waxwings that would occasionally land on a persimmon tree in his neighborhood.  It was a very cold December day with periods of sun interspersed with snow and strong winds.
I had to wait a while and killed time practicing on the thrushes that were helping themselves to the fruit, the ducks in a nearby pond and a raptor in the snow.

Dusky Thrushes  ツグミ





Osprey   ミサゴ




The snow came and went and I often wondered what kind of hobby this is. It was X-mas eve, I should be at home, on board of our cozy yacht Alishan, baking something for the holidays. But then the snow subsided and the flock landed and for a few minutes the tree was full of happy wings. 

 Japanese Waxwing ヒレンジャク












Another 2 or 3 attacks like this and the persimmon is finished.


At last the ducks: Common Pochards  ホシハジロ


寒かった!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment