Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Sunday 5 May 2024

Island life

May has come. I had been looking forward to this day for a long time, for I was finally able to go to O island during migration. I got on the ferry with my little suitcase and a little over an hour later I was there. The first on the island day was very dark, windy and wet. During the little time I had before and after work, I went out and checked the fields. Birding was very slow in these conditions. I could hear, but I could not see. Was that an Indian Cuckoo, セグロカッコウ calling nearby? I could not see it. Raptors were flying by. I think Falcons... The birds I could see were mostly Pipits. Lots of warblers were moving around the treetops, calling Hi Hi Hi. I could not hear any familiar sounds. My camera wasn't much help. I took very few photos, here they come:


Streaked Shearwater, オオミズナギドリ seen from the ferry on the first day



Around the harbor and on the way to work I saw many Pipits









I think they are all Buff-bellied Pipits, タヒバリ but please correct me if I'm wrong





A Narcissus Flycatcher, キビタキ crossed my path



Very shy and hard to detect: Little Bunting, コホオアカ about 4 or 5









On the 2nd day the cloud cover cleared and visibility improved. A big flock of waders moved slowly toward Hakata Bay 



Lots of Streaked Shearwaters, オオミズナギドリ were there as well.



On the way back at the entrance a few Porpoises popped up in front of the bow of the boat. The captain must have seen them pretty close. Egrets were flying by.


Last a photo of a White-cheeked Starling, ムクドリ. I learned they were not usually seen on islands. I wonder if it is living here



No comments:

Post a Comment