Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory. Readers who have my site translated automatically, please refer to the original if necessary. Especially when it comes to identification. Any comments, anonymous or by email name are always welcome!.

Friday 19 July 2019

Little Grebes, カイツブリ - 2 families

For many years I have kept my eyes open for Little Grebes, hoping to get a good view of parents and chicks. I particularly hoped to see Mum or Dad carrying the babies on their back. When this place was recommended I went to check it out right away. There was a nest with 4 chicks and I could see observe them from a safe point, not too far away. These kids were already a couple of weeks old and depended on the parents for food. They swam around, but could not dive yet.

Huddled together, waiting for the delivery service







A family outing 







Cute babies, but they had already outgrown that warm place between Mum's feathers. In another corner of the pond a pair was looking after a nest with 4 eggs. I decided to wait them out.





And I got lucky! 19 Days later:











I went back a few times, but never saw this again. All the feeding was done at the nest.







Wether the presence of this bird had something to do with it I don't know
Young female Peregrine Falcon, ハヤブサ



Other wildlife at the premises: Chotombo, チョウトンボ





Scarlet Skimmer, (shojotombo) ショウジョウトンボ



Red-eared Slider Turtle, ミドリガメ 



The kids of the first family are growing up nicely, manage to dive a bit and find some food for themselves, going their own way.


No comments:

Post a Comment