Aisatsu

Aisatsu

This blog is for family and friends, to share my feelings and photos with and for myself, to support my fading memory and improve my Japanese. I intend to do some writing in kanji, but am not getting very far without a Japanese computer. So for the moment I say "konnichi wa". Aisatsu dake - just saying hello.

Monday, 29 February 2016

Saunders’s Gull, ズグロカモメ – Vulnerable

A handful of these vulnerable gulls winters in Imazu. They are the smallest of the lot, just a bit smaller than the Black-headed Gulls with similar markings and from a distance difficult to distinguish. The bill is stubby and black. And the wings have a dotted pattern visible at rest.







  







The Competition:  Black-headed Gull, ユリカモメ

  

The bill longer and red-colored, overall a bit larger



Seen at the same time: Common Greenshanks, アオアシシギ





And Osprey, ミサゴ with his catch of the day



No comments:

Post a Comment